What to expect during the overhaul
Here is an outline of how the process works and what to expect. The process takes 2+ months from start to finish.
1. Overhaul Intro Call. Talk to a AID Welcome Team member about your project and the process.
She tells you about the terms, sends you the contract, and informs you that payment is broken into two parts. The first part is due with the signed contract in order to start the process. The second part is due on the first install day. You can use a credit card to pay online or mail a check to the address on the contract.
2. Your In-Person Visit. Your designer comes to the space and creates a comprehensive design for your space. Read about that process here.
3. Finalizing the Design. Your designer gets back in touch with you to ensure that you love all the items on the initial list. If there are ones that you are unsure of, she will source options and an additional phone conference may be scheduled.
4. Your Spreadsheet. Once you have approved all the items needed for your space, she will create a spreadsheet for final review. On it, each item will be listed with its price, our discount (where applicable), and its status.
5. Ordering. Once she gets the approval from you that all the items on the spreadsheet are a go, she will send you the credit card form. You will put all the info for your card on that sheet.
Our shopper will order the items. This assures that all the items arrive at roughly the same time and that nothing goes out of stock.
6. Discounts. We get discounts of up to 30% at many stores. We pass our design discounts on to you with no mark-ups. Check out our full list of discounts here.
7. Deliveries. You are responsible for arranging the deliveries and getting the items into your space. On the order forms, we will be putting your phone number as the contact person for all of the delivery coordination.
If you are living in the space while the items are arriving, it can feel chaotic and uncomfortable. Things tend to arrive over a two-week period and your space will fill with boxes. Try to put them all in one area so that nothing gets lost. Open the boxes to inspect the items and ensure that nothing is broken/damaged. If something is broken/damaged, notify your designer at once so that she can contact the vendor and arrange for a replacement without impacting the time line.
Do NOT remove the items from the box and do NOT dispose of the packaging. We will do that during the install. There are small parts and instructions that can be easily lost. So leave all the packaging in tact.
8. Install Prep. Prior to the first install day, we need a little help from you:
Make sure that the space is clean. We don’t want to put fresh items like rugs and upholstery on top of a dirty space. So please ensure that the space is in nice, workable condition.
Remove all items that are not going to be used in the new design. We need to have room to layout the new pieces. We don’t move furniture out of your space. Please be rid of those items prior to the install day so that we have room to work.
If you are in an apartment building, please ensure that we have access to the space on the morning of. Notify the building that we will be coming. Let us know your building’s restrictions:
What are the hours we can work there?
How should we dispose of trash?
Do we need to breakdown the boxes?
Please have these items ready for us:
broom and dustpan
step stool and/or ladder
your Wi-Fi name/password so we can follow up on any item issues with vendors
your contact info for the install day (best email and phone number) in case questions arise
9. Install Days. Once nearly all of the items have arrived, we’ll return with our handyman/handymen to put the space together. We generally work full days from 9am-6pm. We will be making some noise: assembling, hanging pictures and window treatments, moving furniture, laying rugs, making design magic happen!
You are welcome to be there but not required. Generally, spaces take between 1-4 days to complete depending on size and how many items need to be assembled.
10. After the Install. Even after the last install day, there are always a couple of loose ends: a vendor needs to replace a damaged item, a piece is on backorder and coming late, a few more pieces are needed to complete the look, etc. We wrap up these loose ends.
11. Voila! Your space is finished and feels like home! You tell your designer that you are set, and enjoy your lovely space!
What the Overhaul Does NOT Cover:
installation of hardwired light fixtures
painting (we recommend the colors but don’t do the actual application)
wallpaper (we recommend the paper but don’t do the actual application)
removing pieces you no longer need/want. Prior to the install, you are responsible for getting rid of furniture that won’t be used.